2020! New decade, new year, new YOU! I’ve put together my top 5 supplements I love and swear by. Whole Foods Market is having their annual supplement sale January 3rd-5th, but if you can’t make it to the store, feel free to shop through my Amazon links! Reach out if you have any questions and here’s to feeling and looking your best in 2020!!
Season’s greetings! I’ve narrowed down my top 10 holiday gifts for everyone on your list for under $50! Some of these sets can be broken up and used for significant others, teachers, parents, friends, aunts, uncles, grandparents, teens, children, the list goes on! Hope you enjoy and happy shopping!!!
October is Breast Cancer Prevention/Awareness month! If you follow me on Instagram, I’ve been giving you daily tips with regards to safer switches. Below are my top 5 safer alternatives to limit your toxic intake!
Food Prep Containers with Lids: Research shows, plastic can leach harmful chemicals like BPA and phthalates into your food and beverages and then into you! Using glass is a much safer alternative and helps with food prep for the week! Win-win!
S’well Water Bottle: Same goes for plastic water bottles! I always try to carry one around wherever I go! Keeps you hydrated and you’re not drinking any potential toxic ingredients seeping into your water!
Tulip Perfume: The word “fragrance,” is a cocktail of ingredients, masking countless carcinogens and hormone disrupting chemicals. Fragrance can be found in almost HALF of all personal care products! Be especially cautious when it comes to children’s products! Use the EWG app to scan products around your home to see its level of toxicity. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me where I got this perfume! It’s the perfect blend of lemon and sugar, without being overpowering and minus the harsh fragrance!
Safer Makeup: It’s perfectly legal for companies to use ingredients linked to cancer, endocrine disruption and reproductive harm in cosmetics and personal care products. With Beautycounter’s makeup you don’t have to choose between safety and performance!
LODGE Cast Iron: Some toxic compounds are used in non-stick cookware. While they keep food and stains from sticking, they stick around your body for a very long time and have been linked to cancer. I absolutely LOVE my cast iron skillet! You can literally cook anything you want in it AND it’s oven safe! It’s time to ditch the teflon and non-stick pans!
Can you believe that summer is coming to a close and back to school is upon us? We’ve got a first grader and a preschooler on our hands and we couldn’t be more proud of them! Below is a list of my top 10 back to school must haves that you might have forgotten!
- Backup Polos: Most schools require a uniform and these Amazon Basics are comfy & affordable! Plus they come in an array of colors! Always get back ups!
2. Hershel Backpacks: These are the new age Jansports of our time! They are weather proof and come in a variety of sizes and styles! I have the army print and I love it!
3. Lunchbots are 2 legit!: They’re good for the environment and the ones we love, bc they skip the BPA with their metal packaging and the hassle it takes to pack everything up in the morning! Just enough space and at a great price point!
4. Simple Modern Insulated Water Bottles: Never got thirsty with these trusty insulated water bottles. They come in a variety of sizes, colors and lids.
5. Electric Pencil Sharpener: I don’t know about you, but we are always sharpening pencils in our home. Skip the fuss and add this to your back to school list this year, you’ll be glad you did!
6. Desktop Organizer: With the amount of paperwork, homework and back to school tasks, this desktop organizer, makes it easy to have a place for everything and put everything in its place.
7. Hand Sanitizing Wipes: Back to school means back to germs! Skip the stress and have these handy while on the go! Skip the harmful ingredients too!
8. Adidas Slides: I’ve linked these before and I’m linking them again, because they’re the best shoe for running to and from car pool and pick up line! Mine were pink with some palms, but I might have to snag these too!
9. Inside Out Umbrella: This umbrella is like literal magic. It flips inside out, so that you’re not stuck fighting to close it in the rain and getting soaking wet! My Floridians know what I’m talking about!
10. Everyone knows the minute you get the kids from school they’re hungry. Plus when you and your littles are in the car waiting to pick the big kids up you’ve got to curb your snacking, so this little trust container should help!
Hope you enjoyed my top 10 back to school must haves! Have suggestions? Drop them here!
What a treat to collaborate with Voyage Miami on their latest feature! When I was first approached by the internet magazine company that focuses on local entrepreneurs…I thought to myself…me? It’s quite the honor to use my platform to tell my story. Shoutout to Erica Bachelor for submitting me and Dani Napert Photography, for her amazing photog skills! Check out the article to read my story, my struggles and my triumphs. Appreciate those who have supported me from the jump! 🤩
The Science Center is always a great idea, especially during the brutal Florida summer months! This time our little family took a trip to visit their latest exhibit, “Rainforest Adventure: Inspiring Wonder for the Natural World.” I particularly have a sweet spot for the rainforest, because my husband and I had our honeymoon in Costa Rica, back in 2010! There’s something about the lush landscape, coastal views, the exotic animals and not to mention the food, that keep me so intrigued, by such an amazing eco-system. It was really neat to be able to experience that with my two small children and give them a tiny glimpse into what it was like when we were fortunate enough to experience the rainforest almost nine years ago!
When you step inside the exhibit you are immediately transported to the tropical ambience of the rainforest. A maze is set up in the exhibit space for the kids to explore and learn fun facts, like the rainforest it is one of the least known habitats on Earth! They had the opportunity to see what it was like to swing like a monkey, climb up a spider web and test their frog jumping skills! They even had the chance to see what it was like to zipline though the trees. There’s a little interactive spot where, you can smell all of the things native to the region in a little sensory area. Things like chocolate and fruits and spices immediately transport you to the lush landscapes and immerse you into the culture of South America. As you exit, there is an area where the kids can learn all about ways to help conserve the rainforest and our eco-system. Things like conserving water, recycling and reducing our use of plastic.
I highly recommend beating the heat and cooling off in this makeshift rainforest exhibit that runs through September 4th. If you’re looking for things to do for the kids during summer, winter or spring breaks, The Science Center does offer camps for children throughout the year. The program is designed to highlight seasonal science workshops. From experiments to technology teachings and everything in between. Plus the recently added brain exhibit, larger than life dinosaurs and new splash pad and mini golf course are sure to make it fun-filled day. They offer day passes and annual passes too!
Happy Earth Day friends! After more than 20 years of trial and error and tons of personal research…I’ve listed my Top 7 non-toxic cleaning products I swear by and I’m sure you will fall in love with them too! Have questions? Just ask! Simply use the links to shop now and celebrate Earth Day with me! xo -Briana D.
- Get to do what you’re passionate about. Life’s too short to do spend your precious time doing things you don’t enjoy. Find something that fuels your passion and do it!
- Create your own hours. Being an entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart. However, it does provide you some great flexibility. You can work around your children, spouse or partner’s schedules, work from your pajamas and best of all you don’t have to put in time to take off work. However, you do have to show up every. single. day.
- Endless tax benefits. Gas? Write off. New Computer? Write off. Owning a business, you do have to make some initial investments, but the best part is that you can write most of them off! Talk to your CPA for more information.
- Present for your family and the things you love most. Nothing gives me greater pleasure, than being able to take my daughter to swim and gymnastics and my son to t-ball and help him with his homework. When you go into business for yourself, you can pick up and put down the business whenever you want. It’s important to stay present in these moments. Something I’m definitely working on all the time.
- Make as little or as much $$ as you want.
- No one says you have to work yourself to the bone to achieve massive success. However, it’s important to know your worth and reach for the stars. You can’t equate the amount of “hours” you put in on the daily. You just have to have a vision and goal and seek out to make it happen!
Top 5 reasons to join Beautycounter:
- Build a business with meaning. At Beautycounter our mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. It’s not often you get to work for a company, where you can make a significant social impact and money at the same time. Our products are also highly luxurious.
- Advocate for change. Meet with members of Congress to help enforce the Personal Care Product Safety Act. As it stands the U.S. only bans 30 ingredients in personal care products. At Beautycounter, we ban 1,500. Every formula goes through a rigorous test and is screened for safety. The work our army of advocates do is incredibly important, because it affects everyone. Everyone means everyone. Fast Company recognized Beautycounter as one of the top 50 innovative companies in the U.S. and number ONE in the beauty category. Google also recognized us as the #1 trending brand of 2018! There’s no better time to jump on this fast moving train then now!!
- Change lives. One of our pillars is to educate people on the topic of safety. You can change someone’s life by arming them with information to make better and more informed decisions. People work out, eat healthy foods and then unknowingly douse themselves in products that contain harmful ingredients. It’s our job to help the one we love, make the switch to safer, Beautycounter or otherwise. Educating people with regards to changing their products from one’s that contains harmful and unnecessary ingredients like Parabens, phlatates and formaldehyde most commonly used in beauty products that is now a $60B industry!
- Community. Our incredible advocates or consultants are amazing. The network of women I’ve met along the way are not only inspiring, but are here to help. Whether you want to work the business part-time, full-time, you need ideas or just someone to vent to. I’ve made lifelong friends through this company and for that it’s been worth it!
- The amazing icing on top! As a consultant you receive 25% off everything you buy and are eligible to make up to 35% commissions on everything you sell. You’re eligible for bonuses, incentive trips, free products. Each kit comes with everything you need to get started, our hero overnight resurfacing peel, a long wear color intense lipstick and your back office training through Counter University. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Some ways I’ve been able to incorporate the business into my day to day…
- I do product drop offs to and from events and schools drop offs and pick-ups.
- I usually workout and schedule my work time after that until I have to pick up my children from school. I then pick the business back up during quiet time and occasionally at night once they fall asleep.
- I don’t have an immense social media following, but I use what I’ve got to create a small community of people that are interested in what I have to put out. Everyone out there has something they want to share with the world and equally there’s someone out there that wants to hear it. If you’re a graphic designer, a teacher or a finance person you can absolutely incorporate that into Beautycounter’s mission.
- I pick it up when I want and set it down when I want.
Top 5 Favorite Products: 15% off through April 15th!
- Countercontrol Pore Cleanser
- Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion
- Overnight Resurfacing Peel
- Rejuvenating Eye Cream
- Moisturizing Tint Skin Foundation
- The BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY!
If nothing else, support the cause by purchasing through me and using your wallet to urge congress to pass better beauty laws and text “BETTERBEAUTY” to 52886 today!
Ok. I have a confession. The last time my husband and I were out camping together was 14 years ago! We did an 8-mile canoe stretch up and down The Peace River (actually he was the one canoeing and I was taking pictures…ha!) We set up camp and passed out for 14 hours!! I kid you not. Therefore, we never got the full camping experience. It’s definitely been on our radar for some time now. With two kids ages six and three, it seemed like glamping would be the perfect fit! We’ve passed the Westgate River Ranch and Rodeo dozens of times when traveling out to the west coast of Florida and even drove through on our way back from our favorite place…Disney, way back when. We knew that one day, we would come back and man are we glad we did!
The property is set on 7,000 acres of beautiful Florida land, first acquired back in 1982. We were amazed at the fact that it was within driving distance of where we live! When you drive through the real life dude ranch, you’re transported back to a much simpler time. When cell phones and internet didn’t exist. A time when you could just enjoy each other’s company, without daily distractions.
There are several places you can “camp out” while visiting Westgate River Ranch…from rail car cabins, a motel like cabin or you can set up a tent or an RV, if you so desire. Then there are the teepees, which come with all of the comforts of your home including a full-size bathroom inside. We opted for the “glamp” tents. The perfect mix of camping and comfort. There are only about 15 or so, each boasting a comfy king size bed, two twin beds, a refrigerator, microwave and even air conditioning and lights. Each glamping tent comes with your own picnic table, a propane grill and front porch to enjoy your coffee, pastries and fruit delivered each morning! I’m sure you’re asking yourself…ok, but what about the bathrooms? Well, there’s an outhouse (which we were lucky to be the closest to), that comes with your own bathroom and key. I was pleasantly surprised by the bathroom, because I think they were recently updated. I was expecting a woodsy, bug infested place to hurry up and get cleaned off. Instead it was actually more of a respite! You entered the air-conditioned rooms with a card key and they came with an endless supply of towels, not to mention they were very clean, which to us, was the most important part. Our glamp site was situated right in front of a private airport, where we were able to catch a glimpse of some prop planes taking off! The kids went wild!
I would highly recommend renting a golf cart to get around the property as there’s a bunch to see and do. Having the freedom to whiz around, made the experience that much sweeter! We came on a Saturday so that we could specifically enjoy a hayride dinner and see the Rodeo! An old-fashioned tractor-pulled hayride took us through the back of the property and lush landscape, while a man sang classic country songs on his guitar. Breathtaking views of the wilderness spanned as far as the eye could see, where we encountered grazing bulls and cows and several birds. The ride was followed by a traditional cookout dinner, that was just what the doctor ordered. BBQ chicken and ribs, hot dogs, coleslaw, baked beans and mac n’ cheese, followed by some good ole fashioned peach cobbler. It was the perfect dining experience to welcome us to the ranch. After a quick break, we got ready to watch the rodeo and man was it a sight to see! The kids loved seeing the bull riding competition and there were some pretty awesome horse stunts…the energy was palpable! Following the show, everyone made their way outside for a street party! The music blared, while we danced! People were sitting by the fire enjoying their beverage of choice, some decided to make their way into the saloon, while the kids could play a variety of activities. From mechanical bull riding, to bounce houses, bungee jumping, zip lining, rock climbing and mini golf. We made our way back to the campsites where we enjoyed s’mores by the fire. Did I mention each group gets their very own s’mores kit? I must say we had quite the incredible first day!
The next day was Sunday and we just hung out and made our own breakfast, lunch and dinner (of course followed by s’mores)! We ventured out to explore the resort that takes you back to the good old days. There was a little “town,” with a general store, a gym, a post office and a kid’s area. You could venture out to trap and skeet shoot, test your skills with bow and arrow shooting or visit the full-service marina and restaurant, where you can book an airboat ride or pontoon boat. We decided to make our way over to the little farm on property. The kids loved riding the ponies (especially our 3-year-old daughter) and petting all of the baby goats, that were simply walking by. I was absolutely fascinated by the peacocks who were showing off their feathers and we all loved seeing the sheep and pot bellied pigs that were quite vocal!
There are some wild horses and bulls they keep on property as well, which are a sight to see! We went over and were able to pet and feed the horses some apples…such an out of body experience for all of us. As for the bulls, you may want to steer clear of those, one of them got a little upset that we were even watching them and charged after us! Luckily, there was a fence to keep them away, but not going to lie, we were all a little shook! Now we just laugh and joke about that one time we got charged by a bull!
Monday morning we got up and made our way over to the marina for a “swamp buggy tour.” Our guide “Moby” took us through the swamps and marsh, where we spotted an alligator, making the trip worth it, especially for our 6-year-old son! The ride was bumpy and muddy and it gave us the opportunity to ride through the rugged wooded trail and head out into the wilderness with nothing visible for miles. It was quite the beautiful ride and well worth it!
That night, we ventured out to the restaurant called “The Smokehouse Grill,” located at the marina. There you can find a number of traditional dishes served in mini skillets, if you’re not in the mood to cook. Although a nice respite, in all honesty some of the best meals we had were simply sitting outside of our tent as a family enjoying some of our own home cooking, because after all that’s part of the experience, am I right?
All in all, I would highly recommend a trip to Westgate River Ranch and Rodeo, especially in the glamping tents! I loved being able to spend some quality time without distractions with my family. One lesson I learned from the trip is “It can wait..” Literally anything you have going on. It’s a perfect chance to shut down any anxiety or stress you have, because there’s nothing like being one with nature with the ones you love most.
Purchase my cheat sheet list of things to bring on your next glamping or camping trip!
Glamping Cheat Sheet
Purchase my cheat sheet list of things to bring on your next glamping or camping trip!
There’s even a recipe for an easy one skillet meal!
Ahh the new year! A fresh start! A clean slate! Sometimes the sheer thought could be a tad overwhelming. Every year that clock strikes midnight, it’s almost as if we’re expected to know exactly what we want to accomplish for the year, how to get there and what our “resolutions” are. I know it’s just a word, but resolution almost intimidates me. One thing I am NOT is a quitter, so if I “resolve” to do something for the next 365 days, I almost immediately don’t want to start. It sounds like a chore or something I will carry anxiety over, if I don’t deliver.
Parents today are held to such a higher standard. Whether you’re a parent who works, a stay at home or a work from home, the expectations from a social aspect are immense. What extracurriculars are you signing your child up for? What workout class are you fitting in? Meal prep. Eating organic. Gluten-free. Non-GMO. Ugh, I have a headache. Better not take a Tylenol! Lol
All I’m saying is the New Year is definitely a fresh start for a better YOU, but don’t let it replace who you really and truly are at your core. Now I’m not saying don’t set goals or have dreams, because without those, life wouldn’t really be worth living now would it? I just think it’s crucial to set realistic expectations in areas of your life you want to see improve. Even if it means drinking several more ounces of water in a day or adding in a bike ride around your neighborhood for that extra boost of cardio.
I sat down on December 30th, that time between Christmas and Hanukkah and New Years Eve, when you haven’t any idea what day of the week or if it’s time for lunch or dinner and I “resolved” to write down some areas in my life I felt needed improvement.
Below is a brief list (didn’t want to get too personal in a simple blog post), that I hope inspires you to sit down and do the same.
I used a Lilly Pulitzer planner, because there’s something about the vibrant colors and the stickers that come inside of it that gets me super excited and my creative juice flowing!
- Family: Practice patience. Goodbye to mom guilt. Try one new thing a month. Continue to strive to be present. Plan vacations ahead of time.
- Relationship: Weekly date night (eating dinner alone, a movie at home, doesn’t have to be fancy!) Plan an annual getaway just the two of us.
- Home: Continue to chip away at house projects. Purge a bag of donations/trash a month.
- Finances: Do a no spend week. Check finances daily. Save!
- Wellness: Work out 3 times a week. Meal prep. Sign up for a Disney run (I put it out there in the universe! Ah!)
- Work: Grow my team of entrepreneurs every month, to continue to serve others and give back! Write 4 blog posts a month. Plan ahead. Continue to increase sales. (I had my BEST month in November!)
- Personal Growth: Learn to say no more. Take an hour everyday just for me. Only surround myself with positivity. Be intentional. Spend less time browsing the internet. (Can’t we all? lol)
- Fun: Visit the beach more often. More girls nights. See a concert at least once this year!
I would love to hear yours! Contact me anytime!
Featured in January Issue of “Mommy Moments” in AroundWellington.com
Photo Cred: Dani Napert Photography